Sunday, February 10, 2019

Wikipedia: The Effects of The Ubiquitous Encyclopedia (Project Description)


For my project, I will be discussing both the positive and negative effects of Wikipedia on society. Wikipedia is a globally known and free online encyclopedia that relies on the collaboration of volunteers for content pages as well as revisions. Through preliminary research, I have found that Wikipedia has steadily become more trustworthy for research purposes over the years since its founding in 2001. The company has taken active measures to ban unreliable sources from being counted as citations on the site in an attempt to thwart false information from being disseminated to individuals around the world. A discussion on the societal effects of Wikipedia will use both news articles and scholarly journal publications to support my presentation on this subject.

1 comment:

  1. Your topic really interests me! I know very minimal about Wikipedia and have heard that it is very unreliable, however, reading that you have found Wikipedia to become more trustworthy over time has interested me in finding out how.

    ReplyDelete